Return to Jobs Index
and Edit Friendly Copy
ABA Job Description
The Hotel Coordinator, as a member of the Convention Committee determines which hotels in the host city will fulfill ABA criteria for a convention site. S/he negotiates terms and signs a contract with approval of ABA Legal Advisor and Executive Board.
HOTEL COORDINATOR QUALIFICATIONS
1. Minimum two years membership in ABA and attendance at two conventions
2. Experience in negotiating contracts for lease/rental/hotel agreements or similar
- Hotel Coordinator serves as a non-voting member of the Convention Committee
- Works with the Convention Committee and (City and/or Year) Convention Coordinator (if already appointed) to determine the host city for the ABA Convention.
- Make contact with hotels in the area.
- Request written proposals from each hotel.
- Travel to the host city for site inspection of each hotel.
- Determine which hotels meet ABA requirements for meeting space, functions, and availability of guest rooms.
- Negotiate with each hotel to determine which offers the best package for ABA convention. The package should include:
- Reasonable guest room rates to include three days before and after convention.
- Reasonable meal costs and associated gratuity (lower youth rate).
- Ample meeting and function spaces at no charge.
- Complimentary suite for ABA President.
- Complimentary room for Bell Tower Editor.
- Complimentary room for Convention Chairman.
- Complimentary room for Hotel Coordinator
- Complimentary punch served for one hour during welcome reception.
- Complimentary master account credit for each 50 rooms sold.
- Allow ABA to furnish cookies for welcome reception.
- Sandwich and soft drink bar during bell auction
- Banquet cash bar.
- Storage room near registration.
- Provide needed tables, chairs, podiums, riser, microphones, audio and/or video equipment, etc.
- Free parking
- Monetary damages if hotel cancels or cannot provide contractual items.
- Obtain a written commitment confirming a percentage limit that food prices can be increased, or agree upon a maximum fixed dollar amount ABA will spend for meals not to include taxed or gratuity. Determine over/under guarantee for each meal.
- All agreements, no matters how small, shall be included in the contract.
- After conferring with the (City and/or Year) Convention Coordinator, the hotel coordinator selects a hotel.
- Request computer generated table layouts of sales room, plenary meeting room, and dining room.
- Provide hotel with a complete Schedule of Events including room assignments for plenary meetings, executive and committee meetings, exhibits, BEHOLD, youth, gathering, registration, lunches, dinners, programs, welcome reception and auction. Convention Chairman may later adjust schedules/room assignments to better fit the events.
All ABA Position Instructions (officers, appointments, coordinators and committee chairs):
Review your Job Description and send any updates or note of ‘no changes’ to the Job Description Coordinator towards the end of your annual term.
Remit to Treasurer all expenses, with receipts by the end of fiscal year, March 31st. Committees, whose budgets are large, remit expenses with receipts for payment periodically.
Prepare an annual report for your position and email/mail the report to the Secretary no later than one month before convention.
If a Discussion Form is sent to you by the Secretary, complete and return by email no later than one month before convention.
Important information for name and logo copyrights:
In any print communications there must be the use of the trademarks for the name and logo for ABA.
The first time the organization’s name appears it must be capitalized with the registered trademark following. THE AMERICAN BELL ASSOCIATION®.
For the registered trademark: ctrl+alt+r will work on most keyboards. ®
The name of The Bell Towersm must have a superscript sm after it.
The sm superscript can be made by clicking the superscript icon in your word processing program sm.
The logo must be the official logo of ABA with the registered trademark.